Founded in 1949 by John Van Diest Sr., Portland Rescue Mission opened its doors as the “John 3:16 Mission.” Since then, the Portland Rescue Mission has had a tireless commitment to breaking the cycle of homelessness, addiction and despair in the lives of hurting people in need.
Shepherd’s Door is a sanctuary of peace and security for women and children (ages 10 and under) who are seeking to transition into healthy lifestyles while dealing with the pain and destruction addiction caused in their lives.
“The first time I came here, that’s when I felt safe from the streets and being homeless. This program has given me hope for the future and for a different life.”
Having previously explored investing in solar, the Portland Rescue Mission (PRM) determined, like many other non-profits, that it is not financially feasible as the primarily incentives (tax credits) are not accessible by tax-exempt organizations. However, the solar industry—its employees and abundance of products—has a thirst to give back to community-driven organizations.
Twende Solar serves to make that connection. Attracting the best of PV industry, Twende Solar leverages its volunteers’ expertise, connections, and philanthropic spirit to install high-quality solar PV systems at an affordable cost for its partner organizations. Twende Solar has identified Shepherd’s Door as an ideal candidate for a local project: a relatively new, up to date building that provides critical services to the Portland community. By offsetting its energy consumption with solar energy, PRM can reinvest its energy budget on its mission: providing vital services to thousands of men, women and children affected by homelessness, addiction, hunger and abuse.
Sign-up below to help bring solar to the Shepherd's Door Womens Shelter!
✓ Volunteer on the installation
✓ Donate equipment
PROJECT SPONSORS + PARTNERS
Panels | Racking | Inverters
BOS | Permitting | Storage | Design
Portland Rescue Mission Project Sign-up
We're so excited to have you join us! Here are some details:
- No solar experience? No worries! There is plenty of work to do on the ground or next to a solar pro.
- After submitting this form, you'll receive a follow up email from us confirming dates.
- Wear your branded gear proudly.
- We will start daily at 8:00 am (weekends too!) If you want a half day shift, add those details to the notes field.
- If you have tools and fall protection gear, bring them.
- This build will take place at Shepherd's Door in NE Portland, NOT at the downtown emergency shelter.
- We need 20+ volunteers daily and we would love to see you multiple days!
- Can't volunteer at this time? Consider donating and sharing with your social network. Let's go solar, together!